Sep 10, 2018

307. The Guinness World Record of the Longest Paper Chain

The Guinness World Record
of the
Longest Paper Chain


By - H A R I N I


It all started in math class, when Mr. E announced that we were making a paper chain. He added that we only had 25 minutes to make the chain! My group quickly brainstormed ideas and got to work. We decided to give jobs to people and after 10 minutes we would rotate jobs. By the end of 25 minutes, my group had 250 inches long. Mr. E said that if we wanted to do the project at home, we could, and he said  to look up the longest Guinness world record.


As soon as I reached home, I got out my supplies and made a paper chain that was about 175 inches long (445 cm, 15ft, 4.45m), in under 30 minutes! After giving it some thought, I decided to decorate my front door by placing the rainbow paper chain around it, and it looks like a fun birthday party!! I guess that the whole idea of the project is to introduce the conversion of units, for example, from inches to centimeter etc. (1 m = 100 cm; 1 in = 2.54 cm).

I researched the Guinness world record and it was held by Julie McKinney, who’s paper chain had been 779.21 m (2,556 ft 5.5 in) long was done in under 12 hours.
Source: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/




Not only was this project fun, it taught me and my friends about converting units like, inches, centimeters, meters, etc.